2.06.2012

Morning


Satisfy me in the morning with your unfailing love, O Lord, that I may sing for joy all my days. Psalm 90:14

Is there anything more satisfying than watching a baby and dog watch the world go by? They are satisfied and delighted by the simplest things: the recycle truck, dogs on leashes, a squirrel running along the fence, the neighbor getting into his car, leaves.

This world bombards us with so many loud messages (did you watch the Super Bowl?) and again I'm struck by the simple path my life has taken this year. It has been so hard to just rest in the quietness and simpleness. Lord, expand my heart to be able to linger here. Too soon my world will be loud and busy again, and I ask for your help me to breathe in deep the peace that is here if I'll only accept it.

A verse I've been pondering lately is in 1st Thessalonians:

And make it your ambition to lead a quiet life; 4:11a, NASB

Another translation puts it like this:
Aspire to live quietly;  PHILLIPS
From commentaries I've read, Paul was writing to the church in Thessalonica and there were church goers that were in everyone else's business. He was admonishing them to keep to the task that had been given them.

Could it be that I've confused busyness with significance? If I'm honest, my ambition is not for a quiet life, nor do I usually aspire to live quietly. Oh, I will do these things, but I don't have the ambition for them. My ambition is usually for things that bring me recognition or glory. 

Keep to your task. The simplest tasks are worth doing well if they've been given to you by God. For me, this simplest task of being ZoĆ«'s mom has been the most challenging. But there's grace in that as well. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?